View Single Post
Old December 12 2012, 04:59 PM   #55
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: JJ Abrams and Secrecy... anyone else tired of it?

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
But I do wish they wouldn't blatantly lie to misdirect - like saying Alice Eve is "new to canon" then it turns out she's Carol Marcus. Bleh.
Umm...

TrekMovie.com: OK let’s start with Alice Eve. Canon or new?

Roberto Orci: Canon
http://trekmovie.com/2012/07/14/excl...st-production/
When Alice Eve was originally cast, it was stated she was playing a character "new to canon." Read here.

Star Trek sequel producer/director JJ Abrams has chosen actress Alice Eve for an unnamed role in the film. The report states that the role is "believed to be new to the canon."
The secrecy is bad enough. Take a look at other movies over the past year, none of them are anywhere near as secret. This time last year, Ridley Scott himself was revealing key plot points and character backstories about Prometheus, which didn't hurt the movie at all.

However, this kind of dicking around is uncalled for. Okay, Cumberbatch's identity is all good fun, and we're going to look back on that and laugh. However, in this case "this character is new to canon." A few months later: "she is canon." And finally "She's Carol Marcus." What the hell does "new to canon" then? Either they are being fuckwitted assholes or complete idiots. And at this point, I'll gladly apply any term to Abrams and his cohorts.