View Single Post
Old December 12 2012, 09:52 AM   #205
Longinus
Commander

Re: Why Not A Starfleet Ships Chaplain As A Main Character?

Darkwing wrote:
You haven't understood my position at all. I'm simply willing to admit that ID folks are not all uneducated hillbillies, while you assume only morons can think that way. I don't agree with them, but some really smart, educated people have adopted it - sf author James P. Hogan really surprised me when he went over to it. And is Tom Cruise unintelligent for belonging to scientology? I like his movies, even if his religion does nothing for me.
They're not necessarily stupid. Being a well educated creationist (and ID is creationism) requires some really etraordinary mental gymnastics. Some people use their intelligence to come up explanations why the evidence do not actually mean what it seems to mean.

You really think that militant atheist is an oxymoron? I assure you, they exist. I've met them. Same for many other philosophies. When someone has such a narrow world-view, they do lack wisdom. If you share Longinus' strict interpretations, then I hope you too can expand your thinking. The unexamined belief is not worthwhile. A person who inherits a belief in any particular religion, who never questions it and wrestles with their faith to finally decide what they believe simply follows their programming. Someone who rejects that programming and just substitutes the opposite (or some other creed taught them by some leader figure) to shock Mommy and Daddy is no better off. Only someone who critically eyes their faith or philosophy is really thinking for themself.
Atheists who dare publicly say that there is no God or question the prelevance of religion in government institutions are labelled militant. Religious people can push their views all they like and it is considered to be perfectly normal. Religious need to start attacking abortion clinics to be considered militant.

And my position is not unexamined. It is quite throughly examined, thank you.

Fox is slightly left of center, the rest of the media is farther left, and even the republicans have been sliding left for years.

I must have misread...

Fox is slightly left of center, the rest of the media is farther left, and even the republicans have been sliding left for years.
No, you really said that.

I really do not know what to say. Your detachment from reality is just too owerwhelming at this point. Where is the centre then? I assume somewhere around Emperor Palpatine.

By the standards of today's Republican party Reagan could never get through primaries. He would be considered to be far too much on the left.

I really recommend that you try to realign yourself with the reality.
Longinus is offline   Reply With Quote