View Single Post
Old December 12 2012, 09:09 AM   #180
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Re: TNG: Silent Weapons by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

I just finished the book about an hour or so ago, and have to say that, as much as I ended up enjoying TPoM, I enjoyed Silent Weapons even more. The book felt to me very reminiscent of the Vanguard books, particularly Harbinger and Summon the Thunder, and also reminded me of Plagues of Night, Raise the Dawn, Brinkmanship, and Zero Sum Game.

I didn't really touch on this in my review of TPoM, but the Breen didn't really feel like they truly belonged in that book. Such isn't the case with this book, though, which made me happy because I've always liked them as a species and think they've in general made excellent antagonists and very worthy successors to the Romulans in that regard.

Speaking of the Romulans, it was great to see Praetor Kammemor, who is a character I absolutely love because she truly is like no other Romulan character we've seen before.

In reading some of the other comments here, it seems as if people had a negative reaction to Beverly's reaction to some of Picard's actions and attitudes in the book, but I personally got a kick out of the inversion of their traditional attitudes and viewpoints.

I really felt for President Bacco in this book; her sense of shock and confusion after she survived nearly being shot by Piniero and her relief mixed with grief when the Enterprise's crew discovered the truth of the matter was excellently handled, and, while it was sad to see Piniero killed, it is going to be interesting to see how Bacco moves forward from her death and uses it to strengthen her resolve to propel the Federation forward and honor what Piniero stood for and the causes she championed.

The only thing that I was disappointed in was that, unlike TPoM, it made the excision of IFM from continuity concrete with its references to previous events in a manner that glossed over the time period in which IFM occurred and the ripples its events caused in terms of the Enterprise's crew compliment, but, in the end, those references are so fleeting and minor that, while I was disappointed by them, they're easy to overlook.

I'm giving the book a 5 out of 5, and cannot wait to read The Body Electric and finish out the trilogy.