View Single Post
Old December 12 2012, 02:07 AM   #16
jayrath
Fleet Captain

Re: They teach Latin at Starfleet Academy?

Timo wrote: View Post
I think the real question here is, why do they teach languages?

And I don't mean, why do they teach languages at the Academy? I mean, why bother at all, anywhere? Obviously, "language" is an outdated concept in Star Trek, having been replaced by infallible interpretation machinery. There is no value in a shared code of communication because the machinery makes all codes interchangeable. Learning, say, English is not really useful for service in Starfleet, because everything ever said (or, apparently, printed) will also be translated to your native Udmurtian or perhaps your native Obscure Muttering and Mumbling, and vice versa.

Languages are useless, except as hobbies. Which is as good a reason to study Latin as anything else.

Timo Saloniemi
I always admire your posts, Timo, except for this one. As noted above, translation of ancient texts provides a poor understanding of literature compared to the original language. Even today, simple puns evident in ancient literature are indistinguishable. Short of inserting smiley faces, how are we to understand the writers' true intent, except by learning the languages in which they wrote?

Why do you think there are so many different editions of the Bible? The New Revised Standard edition is extremely different from the King James translation. To get at true meaning, you need to go back to primary sources and original language.
jayrath is offline   Reply With Quote