View Single Post
Old December 12 2012, 12:31 AM   #1615
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Reeborg wrote: View Post
How can I get rid of the black side lines? I tried already any kind of zoom on the TV AND the HD-player. Strangely, I can only zoom vertically but horizontally it (almost) stays the same.

Does anybody of you have the BD in full screen on a 16x9 format????
To explain in a bit more detail, Blu-ray video consists of a 1920x1080 image, or a roughly 16:9 aspect ratio, which is ALWAYS presented in 16:9. The old DVD format had a 720 x 480 image that could be "flagged" as either 4:3 or 16:9 content, and displayed as either. In the case of 4:3 content on Blu-ray, the bars have to be coded right into the image, because there is no native 4:3 1920 x 1080 mode. Your player can't simply stretch the image, because the bars are part of the image too, which was not the case for DVD video.

About the only way to get properly stretched content out of HD 4:3 like that would be to rip it to a PC or play it on a PC like others have mentioned. Handbrake is a software that can re-encode 4:3 HD content without the black bars. I use this myself, but not to stretch the video, I do it because I want to save space on my media center PC (believe it or not, those needless black bars do make a bigger video file).