View Single Post
Old December 11 2012, 03:27 PM   #54
Timo
Admiral

Re: 3 engine rooms in the TOS Enterprise's engineering hull?

Why do you think he was told to look at software as it is not in the dialogue?
Huh? I don't. I just ruled out one thing that the display might be about. It's not about the abstractions of navigation - it's about the practical means of pointing the ship's bow in a desired direction.

1. As per the dialogue, he was verifying if the "automatic helm navigation circuit relay" was actually disrupted.
  2. He was not verifying the power output of reactor #3 or warp engine thrust output.
But my point is that the automatic helm navigation circuit relay is highly likely to directly deal with the power output of a warp engine. Because that's how the ship is steered, IMHO.

There aren't many other things that the automatic helm navigation circuit relay could deal with.

- If it dealt with star chart databanks, our heroes would ignore it, because their problem is with getting the steering to obey helm commands.
- If it dealt with navigational sensors, our heroes would ignore it, because their problem is with getting the steering to obey helm commands.
- If it dealt with the flow of commands within a data network, our heroes would concentrate on the lines connecting the helm to the actual steering bits (warp engines, subspace rudders, whatever), because their problem is with getting the steering to obey helm commands.

The display Chekov needs is one showing the relationship between the helm and the steering machinery. Few other things would suffice. It isn't at all unexpected that such a display would show a graphical simplification of the helm console together with a graphical simplification of the steering machinery. Which could well be the same thing as the warp engines.

It's not just one possible, not particularly forced interpretation. It appears to me to be the only one even remotely possible.

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is online now   Reply With Quote