View Single Post
Old December 11 2012, 11:39 AM   #39
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Re: Kirk's Television Enterprise Deck Plans WIP

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
I currently don't have any idea where to place this WNM corridor in the saucer hull because of the strange angle of the last corridor segment and felt locating the transfer point on the upper deck of the engineering hull might at least help to explain the rather short ride to the bridge:

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...eforehd031.jpg
To drag focus back to this stage for a moment, I was re-watching WNMHGB the other night and it dawned on my that this is in fact a VERY short turbolift ride to the bridge - around 11 seconds in fact!

Ordinarily turbolift travel times should not be taken too seriously, since (as has been pointed out elsewhere) they can vary depending on which route is taken by the turbolift car, and especially by intervening traffic of other travellers.

However, several times in Season 2 the ship was almost totally deserted, leaving the issue of traffic null and void. Of note here is Kirk, Scott & Spock's journey to the Bridge in By Any Other Name. It starts in Engineering and the journey takes a full 43 seconds, not unreasonable given the distance, really. I feel confident we can take this figure as a "stake in the sand" for a typical travel time from the secondary hull to the bridge.

At other times, a journey from the Bridge to Deck 5 (sickbay, captain's quarters etc) is around the 10-30 second mark (Mirror Mirror, Amok Time, Corbomite M.) It is certainly more suggestive of the turbolift corridor in WNMHGB being in the saucer than in the Secondary Hull

Finally, I should also include the journey from the Bridge to Engineering in Ultimate Computer (20 seconds). Once again, the ship was empty. If this is the whole journey, it may be indicitive of an Engineering section in the saucer, around deck 6 (or 7). Or it may be that we only see the gang for part of their journey (we never see them enter the turbolift at the start).
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote