rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile
Re: Coming July 2013: STAR TREK ENTERPRISE RISE OF THE FEDERATION

Deranged Nasat wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote:
And it hasn't been given any credence in the novels since the 1980s
And Dave Stern's far more recent Rosetta!
If I recall, the relevant line in Rosetta mentions "the aliens from Alpha Centauri", which I suppose we could choose to be sly about if we wanted to. Maybe the humans encountered a survey ship at Alpha Cent and these people became known as "the aliens from Alpha Centauri" despite not being native to the system at all? Maybe they're one of the species humans later came to know better and the label fell from use once contact became more frequent? Maybe these aliens even had an outpost on Centauri III, IV or VII (I think those are the habitable ones) but made no claim to the system? Perhaps one of the many names for Centauri IV referenced in The Persistence of Memory is this race's name for it?
In the current continuity, III (orbiting A) and VII (orbiting B) are the two class-M worlds in the Alpha Centauri system, the planet-numbering system applied to Alpha Centauri A starting at I with the several worlds orbiting B starting at V.

(Mine is an inelegant explanation.)

"Centaurus" is obviously of Earth origin, taken from the name of the constellation Alpha Centauri is located in. "Al Rijil" seems to refer to an alternative Earth name for Alpha Centauri, "Rigel Kent". "Velestus" is the native name for Centauri VII, the world frequently cited as the homeworld for the Centauran humans. (III/IV was uninhabited prior to humans' development of starflight.)

For what it's worth, SCE: Foundations features a Centaurian character who is, if not out and out called a non-human, clearly supposed to be one - but that's the only other modern reference to Alpha Centaurians that I recall. I guess I have to personally interpret her as being from some Centaurian colony that is non-human (that same colony I just invented for Rosetta?)
New Samarkand in The Buried Age is portrayed as a cosmopolitan centre, notwithstanding Alpha Centauri's initial settlement by humans from Sol.

In The Left Hand of Destiny, Gothmara's bioweapon is designed to affect "humans and Alpha Centaurians". Hmm. Are Alpha Centaurians merely humans who have slightly altered biologies due to generations of dealing with certain environmental factors? J'Lenn, the Alpha Centaurian from Foundations, had some issues with breathing or gas intake or something of the sort (I must go and look it up). Are "Alpha Centaurians" merely a small group within the human colonial population at Alpha Cent who have habituated to a certain environment to the degree that they've began to subtly deviate from "standard" humanity?
Maybe it was an attack against humans habituated to one or the other Centauran biospheres. Or maybe Gothmara was just crazy.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote