View Single Post
Old December 11 2012, 05:13 AM   #6
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile
Re: Thoughts on the Typhon Pact (Cold Equations spoilers)

Markonian wrote: View Post
I like the idea of the Typhon Pact and while the Cold War background is sooo 20th century I am glad that the pact isn't a rehash of the Soviet Union and more like a mirror of the early Federation but more powerful, darker and edgier.
By the way, what do you think about the Taurus Pact from Rise Like Lions? Do you think this mirror counterpart has any spiritual significance for thoughts about the Typhon Pact? Alas, the Taurus Pact is generally friendly to the Galactic Commonwealth, it seems.
The Taurus Pact was a responsive to the Klingon-Cardassian alliance that dominated located space, in the same way that the Typhon Pact was a responsive to the Federation-Klingon alliance. There are some differences, perhaps partly connected to the Mirror Universe's lack of an all-mobilizing event like the Borg invasion: the Tzenkethi are isolationists, as are the Kinshaya. Most notably for our purposes, the Romulans are not in the Taurus Pact--the scouring of Romulus by a thalaron bomb and years of Klingon invasion disrupted the Romulan state while the discussions were going on, and the reformed Star Empire ended up allied to the Galactic Commonwealth.

Thinking off-hand, the Taurus Pact seems more likely to endure than the Typhon Pact. A Breen-Tholian grouping is relatively compact, although the Gorn are exposed. More to the point, the Klingon-Cardassian alliance--the Klingons, more specifically--are much more of a threat than the Federation ever was. Killing everyone on Romulus and invading the Star Empire's outer worlds, conquering the Talarians, using anti-stellar munitions to destroy the Ferengi homeworld and then attempting to blow up B'ha'vael, attempting an all-out conquest of the Hegemony ... the Klingons are an existential threat. I can imagine that attempts to contain the Klingons will be a top priority for the surviving powers.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote