View Single Post
Old December 11 2012, 04:02 AM   #60
diankra
Commodore

Re: And Cumberbatch?s Character Is?

Mr Silver wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I must admit, the idea that a quiet, good but unspectacular officer becomes this awesome engine of destruction in another life is pretty cool.
But it's a shout out that only diehard fans (us) of the original series will get. Sure, the first Abrams movie featured some callbacks to TOS, like the casting of Nimoy/Spock, who is a well known public figure regardless, in the first film as a shout out (and arguably the "passing of the torch) to TOS, but it's just not the same.

The concept of an extra being a big shot in an alternate universe (especially with a near 50 year gap between productions), is something that just cannot work when you are making a film aimed at majority audiences.
But that's the beauty of it (assuming that there's any reality to the theories being spun here). The new audience wouldn't have a clue who Kyle, Rand, Chapel, Mitchell, Dehner, Carol Marcus, any of that lot, are either. Lots of the people watching the 2009 movie will have had no idea that Chris Pike came from the original series.
Whereas creating an entirely new villain, but giving him the name of a non-entity from the original series, is a gag that really dedicated fans will spot eventually, lets the writers drop red herrings without lying, and which inverts that classic SF trope of "If you went back in time to 1920 and bought enough watercolours off this Austrian ex-corporal, you could have averted World War II... or could you? Would time find some ironic way to stop you?"

And the new fans can just ignore it and say "Isn't Benedict whatsisname a good villain?"
diankra is offline   Reply With Quote