View Single Post
Old December 11 2012, 02:56 AM   #193
Longinus
Commander

Re: Why Not A Starfleet Ships Chaplain As A Main Character?

Bishop76 wrote: View Post
I can understand denying a creationist the ability to work in the life sciences department of Starfleet maybe, but why not astrogation? Helm? Weapons? My point is that while creationism may seem silly to you (and frankly, to me as well), it doesn't seem silly to a lot of people. Some of them are rational and understand that other people have different belief systems, some of them are not.
If you are not well educated it is possible to be merely misinformed. But Starfleet personnel are well educated (and I actually think that all Federation citizens are pretty well educated by today's standards.) Retaining creationist beliefs while being well informed requires active denying of scientific evidence. And I'm not talking about any specific beliefs anyway, but the mindset. If a person cannot take scientific facts objectively, he has no business being in position that requires evaluating of scientific facts.

My point is that it's arrogant and intolerant to write people off for a belief system.
I am talking about science deniers working in a field that requires science (and any Starfleet position does.) I am not passing judgement on them as human (or alien) beings. It just is not the right place for them.

And I also wanted to say that the Bajorans don't count because they actually have physical evidence of their "gods" existing. It's not really a faith at that point any more, it's worship of a more advanced being. That always bugged me...
But they didn't always have that evidence. In any case, I never understood the point of faith anyway, but yes, it can make good TV drama.

Last edited by Longinus; December 11 2012 at 04:13 AM.
Longinus is offline   Reply With Quote