View Single Post
Old December 11 2012, 01:39 AM   #149
J.T.B.
Commodore

Re: Starfleet Marine Corps

Darkwing wrote: View Post
I know I'd be pretty ticked if someone told me that I had to be a sergeant now instead of a petty officer!
That's what happened pretty much overnight for the Royal Naval Air Service when the RAF was established in WW1. Everybody got through it all right.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
But by the same analogy, the Canadian Forces' brief use of the same rank system in all of its commands didn't last very long, did it? They went back to the old systems fairly quickly after unification. Who's to say the same thing didn't happen in Starfleet? They could have a single, unified military command, like Canada, and yet have unique rank systems.
Yes, but the Canadian example was a service which had strong predecessor traditions and would be working closely with services of other nations who still used those traditional conventions. Creating a new service, integrating different traditions, languages and cultures, would make it much easier to go with a "clean slate" system of ranks. Again, what is inherent in "ground" operations that requires a certain system of titles?

Justin
J.T.B. is online now   Reply With Quote