View Single Post
Old December 10 2012, 09:51 PM   #3
Christopher
Writer

Re: Star Trek's 21st Century

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
In fact, I think that one of the things that diminished my overall enjoyment of First Contact was that it obliterated the well though out timeline created in Federation. The steady decline of civilization coupled with expanding space exploration depecited in that book fit with what we knew about that era better than what we ultimately got in First Contact.
It didn't obliterate anything; the book is still there for you to read and enjoy. It just offered an alternative view. That view may be more binding on subsequent canonical works, but it's not as if one fictional version of the future is somehow more real than another fictional version of the future. It's good to have alternatives.

The Lost Era: The Sundered covers the mid-21st century rather well, dealing with the backstory behind WWIII, the recovery, and the development of warp drive. There's also a story in Strange New Worlds 09, "The Immortality Blues," that depicts WWIII from the immortal Flint's POV, in a manner consistent with The Sundered.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote