View Single Post
Old December 10 2012, 08:33 PM   #5
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

Re: "After Earth" - Trailer (M. Night Shyamalan, Will & Jayden Smith)

I'll keep my expectations suitably low given Shyamalan's fall from grace as a filmmaker, but the fact that he didn't write this and it doesn't seem to revolve around any lame twist (the fact that it's Earth is revealed up front) gives me some hope that it might be enjoyable. I still think the guy is very talented at setting a scene and building tension, he just needs to have someone there to tell him no when he starts getting over-indulgent and self-reverential. Someone else writing might help mitigate those qualities.

The futuristic animals (though some just seemed like baboons on steroids and sabre-toothed tigers) and the impressive vistas are cool, much like that Discovery Channel(?) show about the future of life on Earth if humans were out of the picture. But then again, some of the prehistoric animal scenes of that awful Roland Emmerich 10,000 BC movie looked cool too. The ship design and space scenes didn't blow me away, but we didn't get a whole lot of them either.

I'm not sure if Smith's accent will get annoying or not. It didn't particularly bother me here in small doses, and I appreciate Shyamalan making an effort at (presumably) depicting that accents would change if humanity conglomerated and moved elsewhere. Hopefully that's what's happening there and it wasn't just some bad attempt at an existing accent.

Smith's kid can be annoying in films, or at least, the way people write dialogue for him and direct his character to behave has been extremely annoying so far, so I'm not sure how that will work out.

I'll give it a chance if nothing obviously terrible sounding comes out about it before its release. I just won't get too excited for it, because I know this is the guy who gave us killer plants and Amish werewolf cosplay hippie commune movies.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Last edited by Locutus of Bored; December 10 2012 at 09:50 PM.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote