View Single Post
Old December 9 2012, 11:57 PM   #88
sonak
Vice Admiral

Re: Now That John Logan Has Proven Himself, What Went Wrong With Nemes

Merry Christmas wrote: View Post
Vasquez Rocks wrote: View Post
I'm more surprised that a Jlo movie got on more screens than a Star Trek film opening week.
sonak wrote: View Post
it was only released against "Maid in Manhattan" in its opening week and it still lost to it.
Star Trek: Nemesis and Maid in Manhattan cost about the same amount to produce. Nemesis received poor reviews and starred a bunch of people the general public never heard of. It made $67 million.

Maid in Manhattan was a excellently made romantic story. It received fantastic reviews and starred Jenifer Lopez at the height of her movie popularity, her movie made $155 million.

They might have made the same on their opening weekends, but once the word of mouth got out, Nemesis just couldn't compete.

I'm not sure how this is a response to my post. I was only making the point that there was no blockbuster or genre competition against Nemesis when it opened, so you can't blame its box office performance on that. I have no idea about the merits of "maid in manhattan," as I've never seen it, but I don't think it was stealing the normal audience for a Star Trek movie.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote