Thread: Mass Effect 3
View Single Post
Old December 9 2012, 09:39 PM   #1849
Jeyl
Commodore

Re: Mass Effect 3

Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
The Alliance is an extrasolar governing body, Earth itself is still divided by nation-states with their own sovereign governments. Yet ME3 makes it look like Earth is the capital of the Alliance.
And that's not even covering the Earth Born origin of Shepard which specifically states:

"You were an orphan raised on the streets of the great megatropolises covering Earth. You escaped the life of petty crime and underworld gangs by enlisting with the Alliance military when you turned eighteen."

So not only should the Earth not have a strong Alliance presence, but even the Earth Born Shepard shouldn't really care about it. This whole "Take Back Earth" approach just seemed like a desperate attempt at making ME3 more mainstream even though it already had the fame and popularity for BioWare to actually do things for the game that aren't hindered by mainstream games. I'm actually surprised Yahtzee never brought that issue up because he makes a good point about it in his review for Gears of War 3.

Yahtzee-
"I'm starting to notice a bit of a recurring pattern in Shooter Season 2011, besides the usual ones like brown and characters taping their asthma inhalers to their iron sights. They all seem to have this running theme of humanity being fu***d. Not just threatened with fu***ry, but conveniently prefu***d when the game starts. Resistance 3 opens with the human race cowering in the last few orifices the Chimera haven't gotten around to sticking their co**s into and the planet about to explode, and Gears of War 3 opens with the human government having completely collapsed, the chunk brigade all living on boats, and the planet about to explode.

You see, threatening to explode the planet is something bad writers and tw**s do when they can't think of any other way to raise the stakes for the concluding installment of a trilogy. If they haven't come up with a single character whose goals and struggles we can actually feel invested in, they can always play the exploding planet card, because holy shit, I live on a planet! And there are always a few stray taint hairs on the exploding planet card from having been recently pulled from an ar**, because I don't remember anyone mentioning it before this."

The key difference that Resistance 3 and Gears of War 3 have in comparison to Mass Effect is that Mass Effect has never taken place on Earth before ME3 where Gears of War and Resistance all take place on Earth. So even if they use the holy unoriginal "Earth needs saving!" card, at least the characters are on Earth to begin with. Having Earth be the focus of Shepard's goals and the focus of the marketing campaign doesn't sound much like a Mass Effect game.

And you know the series is going out of it's way to make Earth a priority when the writers had to resort to making the Reapers skip on their #1 target, the Citadel. Why would the most crucial part of all their previous invasions over the billions of years not be to take control of the Citadel on day one? It not only houses all the council members and numerous leaders from a majority of the galaxy races but also information regarding each races' homeworlds, colonies and fleet strength. Even in ME3, it is the go to place where all the refugees are taking shelter and NOBODY IS WORRIED about a possible Reaper invasion. To make matters worse, when the Citadel does get invaded, the Reapers manage to take control of it and move it to Earth so quickly that nobody even knows about it before it's too late. Again, just so they can shift the focus to Earth.

Why do I care about this point so much? Earth is boring, overused in science fiction, and it's not what makes Mass Effect unique.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote