View Single Post
Old December 9 2012, 03:05 PM   #1695
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
At least one definitely was: Riley Sheppard appeared in both episodes.

Good catch, I didn't notice that. Considering he wasn't expelled for his role in the coup and still remained a member of Red Squad, I think it adds credence to the idea that Red Squad wasn't just for the best of the best, but also the most malleable.

flemm wrote: View Post
One star is generous, especially given that an episode like Wrongs is at one and a half.
Yeah, I don't hate the episode the same way most people do. It's really bad and shouldn't have been made, but at least there's some energy to it, unlike Let He Who Is Without Sin..., an episode that felt like it was three hours long.

Time's Orphan (*)

The Romulans must be doing a good job kicking the Dominion's ass, because families are apparently safe to return to DS9. Only a month after the station was evacuated and nearly destroyed by the Reckoning, no less. To celebrate, O'Brien decides to take his family on a picnic to some largely deserted world, and somehow beams down within meters of an active time portal left by an ancient civilisation. Considering the size of most terrestrial planets, that is astronomically bad luck. To make matters worse, this working time portal inexplicably collapses after Molly falls through it. At this point I can only conclude that the gods of the Star Trek universe are intentionally fucking with O'Brien and his family, there is just no other logical explanation for this amount of bad luck.

In a rare break for O'Brien, he actually works for a god, one that's kind enough to allow his underlings to use a magical orb to travel back in time for personal reasons. Unfortunately for O'Brien, everyone has forgotten that this simple method of time travel exists, and they instead attempt to repair a time portal built by aliens that they know nothing about. It turns out that repairing and calibrating strange and advanced technology is really, really difficult and O'Brien and co screw up, rescuing Molly 10 years too late. Then the stupid happens.

KEIKO: Maybe if you tried again you could pull her out when she was still a little girl.
BASHIR: If you do that, there'll be no one to grow up and become this Molly. You'd be erasing her existence.
O'BRIEN: Yes, but we'll have our Molly back.
KEIKO: Miles, this is our Molly. Just because we missed the last ten years of her life doesn't give us the right to take those ten years away from her.
Good lord, this is stupid. By that logic, "rescuing" 18 year-old Molly is wrong because it erased the feral 40 year-old Molly (who already existed) from time, and the correct course of action would be to send 18 year-old Molly back in time immediately. Just because you didn't spend time in the same room with middle-aged feral Molly doesn't mean she didn't exist and didn't have the same right to exist as 18 year-old feral Molly. By this logic, any attempt to rescue anyone who is trapped back in time is immoral. Since this episode is based on such a selective interpretation of time travel morality, one that's used purely to justify this week's story, the whole episode feels hollow and I can't be bothered to get emotionally invested in it. That's a good thing in this case because the episode ends with a reset button anyway, making the whole story more or less meaningless.

The B-story is sweet though. It's not quite worth watching the whole episode just to see Worf attempting to prove himself as a father, but it's a nice, gentle story that explores Worf and Jadzia's relationship a little more and adds extra meaning to her impending death.