View Single Post
Old December 9 2012, 10:53 AM   #332
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: Star Wars The Clone Wars Season Five News and Discussion

Christopher wrote: View Post
And help me out here with the SW-verse hyperspace physics. Since when did a ship have to drop out of hyperspace because of an obstacle in their path in normal space? Isn't the whole point of hyperspace that you bypass such obstructions completely? I know from canonical dialogue that you have to worry about coming out of hyperspace inside a star or planet, but I figured it was only a problem if you came out -- that if you stayed in hyperspace, you could just pass "through" any such obstruction. So the setup for the episode made no sense to me.
In Star Wars physics (at least in the Expanded Universe), there's this thing called a "mass shadow," which is basically the influence a planet or star's gravity well has on hyperspace. They do bad things if you get near one. I haven't seen this week's episode, so I don't know if they made it sound like the ship would run into the physical planet itself, but what you're describing sounds like it was intended to be the other thing.

They've been part of the EU for a good decade or more, so the idea's been around for a while even though the movies never mentioned it.