View Single Post
Old December 9 2012, 06:15 AM   #360
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Re: TNG: The Persistence of Memory by David Mack Review Thread (Spoile

Despite saying in another thread that I was going to ignore the Cold Equations trilogy and hope that future Trek novels didn't further screw with continuity (which was a knee-jerk reaction to the news that author David Mack had been told to completely ignore the events of Indistinguishable from Magic), I ended up picking up this novel, and I really enjoyed it. I've never read Immortal Coil and didn't recognize all of the references that Mack put into the novel from canon TNG episodes, but I nevertheless was able to follow the story and figure out what was going on.

I was really caught off guard by Jasminder Choudry's death and how abrupt it was, but the 'payoff' at the end of the book was perfect, and I really can't wait to find out what happens next with regards to Worf's psyche.

I've never been one of those people who clamors for dead characters to return, but have no objections to Data being brought back, although I do find it interesting and neat that Mr. Mack didn't do the predictable thing and have Data just pick up his career and life as if nothing had happened. There's nothing wrong with that kind of a storytelling approach, but I like that it wasn't used in this particular instance because it opens up a bunch of new storytelling options that might not have been available otherwise.

Finally, I have to say that, despite the above-mentioned edict from the editors to completely ignore IFM, there's not actually anything in the contents of TPoM that precludes the events of IFM having happened, which is what I'd been afraid of and was convinced was the case based on comments from others in another thread (the same thread in which I said that I was going to ignore the Cold Equations trilogy, as noted above).