View Single Post
Old December 9 2012, 05:29 AM   #40
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Christopher wrote: View Post
Hanukkah Solo wrote: View Post
A real live human being does play the part in motion capture.
I'm aware of that, of course. Many human beings are involved, including the performer, the character designer, and the animators. I just resist the kneejerk attitude that CGI is always preferable to conventional effects like miniatures or prosthetics. There are things that CGI is good for and things that prosthetics are good for. I see visual effects as an art form, and I've never seen the logic in thinking that one artistic technique should replace another rather than coexisting with it.

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Really, I think Chiklis as The Thing was perfectly cast and almost perfectly executed. I've no problem with the "guy in a suit" thing with The Thing but in the movie it didn't look quiet right. The colors in the movie were too bright and too perfect and not natural looking at all so The Thing looked less like a walking hulk of rock and more like partly melted Payday bar.
I still say he looked like an Alex Ross painting brought to life, and thus it worked marvelously.
I dunno, different strokes. The colors and lighting were generally wrong in the F4 movies all over the place giving everything to much of a bright, non-realistic, too-colorful look. Yeah, I suppose is meant to go with the tone of the comic and the look of a comic but it didn't translate well on screen for me. The Thing looked too much like a costume and not much like, well, a chunk of rock.