View Single Post
Old December 8 2012, 08:55 PM   #17
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Starfleet non-coms

Merry Christmas wrote: View Post
The Wormhole wrote: View Post
but the general implication is that all officers are graduates of Starfleet Academy in San Fransisco.
That isn't the impression I got from TOS, only a few mentioned attending the academy. Kirk, Mitchell, and Merik (sp?). The other officers might have gotten their commissions through something like OTS, ROTC, etc.. There are a few pieces of dialog suggesting that Spock didn't attend the academy, same with McCoy.

And one episode suggests that Uhura might have been a mustang, she was enlisted prior to being an officer.

Well, in The Ultimate Computer when Commodore Wesley calls Kirk Captain Dunsel, everyone on the bridge gets it except McCoy. He then gets the explanation from Spock who explains it as an Academy term, making it clear that Kirk, Spock, Sulu and Chekov attended the Academy.

Of course, Trek XI shows everyone, even McCoy at the Academy.

timmy84 wrote: View Post
Well we know that Starfleet has noncoms. They are the guys with no rank insignia on their collars. I could be mistaken, but I think its been said that O'Brian could become an officer if he wanted too, so a program to allow enlisted to become officers exist. So if you just want to get out there now you can become an officer later.
Past Tense Part 1, O'Brien makes an off-hand remark about "that's why I stay an enlisted man."