View Single Post
Old December 8 2012, 07:37 PM   #1545
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Loud as a Whisper is a very good episode with a good message in it. It's one I very much enjoy. Even though one thing I find odd this is one of the episodes where Troi is pretty much used as the ship's concubine-on-call to entertain a visiting guest at his own whims.
Ha, yeah, it was hard to miss how decidedly uncomfortable she looked with the attention Riva was giving her.

Unless that was supposed to be shyness, and Sirtis just did a lousy job communicating it. Lol

Another oddity, I guess I can understand the absence of a sign-language in the 24c, even to the point of it apparently not even being part of the universal translator. (Which, really, should have "read" Riva's signs and then presented them in an audible sound in one fashion or another. Riva apparently could read lips and didn't need things signed TO him. Though who knows how that works when you've never heard any kind of sound whatsoever.) Medical technology has apparently advanced enough to correct all forms of deafness with prosthetics or other means.
Yeah, I was surprised Data wasn't able to recognize it immediately, with the wealth of knowledge that's already programmed into him. And the way everyone else was just completely baffled by his signing was pretty laughable as well.

Surely Starfleet has encountered other alien races that used some form of gestural language to communicate. Or to at least supplement their spoken language in some way.

It also seems pretty lucky that the signs Data learned from the computer just happened to match up with Riva's alien language.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote