View Single Post
Old December 8 2012, 01:50 PM   #166
Longinus
Commander

Re: Why Not A Starfleet Ships Chaplain As A Main Character?

Darkwing wrote: View Post
Also the religion of liberalism and politically correct 'explanations'.
I was afraid that this was what you really meant.

And this is exactly why I have never had much love for so called 'religious morals'. There are all sort of bizarre mandates that are justified merely by 'god said so.' Some of these are pretty harmless, like banning certain foods or requirements to perform certain ceremonies at specific times, but other are really toxic.

Labelling homosexuality as a sin probably is the most visible example these days. Homosexuality is a behaviour which from rational perspective causes absolutely no harm, yet opposing it seems to be the favourite crusade of many religious people.

Now, to be fair, there are many completely decent religious people who manage to not to be bigots just fine. Bible has all sorts of stories and teachings, and in reality no Christian can follow them all. What bits of the Bible a person deems important really tells more about the person than the religion. For example in the Bible condemnation of divorce and amassing wealth are way more clearer (and come from Jesus rather than some random dude like the gay-thing), yet we see no religious moral outrage and crusade against those.

Morals should be based around avoiding suffering, not on some nonsensical ancient mandates from 2000-year old culture. Homosexuality is absolutely harmless, so there is no reason whatsoever to condemn it.

The Golden Rule is no way exclusive to Christianity, but nevertheless, Jesus had it right. "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" is an excellent guideline. I hope that those anti-gay crusaders would for a moment stop to think how it would feel if it was their sexuality and lifestyle that would be the target of the condemnation and vitriol.
Longinus is offline   Reply With Quote