View Single Post
Old December 8 2012, 02:23 AM   #12
The Wormhole
Admiral

Re: Starfleet non-coms

Gotham Central wrote: View Post
What I could see though is something like a Starfleet version of ROTC at universities across the Federation.
You'd think so, but the general implication is that all officers are graduates of Starfleet Academy in San Fransisco. Seriously, there was a thread a while back where we went through the characters we know the training background of, and an overwhemingly high percentage are confirmed as graduates of the Academy.

Santa Kang wrote: View Post
Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
So open walk-ins could account for a lot of lower ranks. And most of the people in Starfleet seem to love it, regardless of their position. No one seems to be hoping for the day next week when his committment expires. Except guest characters in a war zone who get killed in the last act.

And Federation public schools probably have Starfleet recruiting commercials running all day in the halls. "Sure, Federation life is good! But with Starfleet, life can be better!"
In which episode did we see Rom and his colleagues who worked in the sewage department or something? They did not look like motivated workers.
Rom isn't in Starfleet or a Federation citizen. He doesn't even live in Federation space.
I think what Drago-Kazov is referring to is the DS9 episode The Assignment in which Rom is transferred to the station's engineering swing shift. The Starfleet officers among this shift don't share his enthusiam for the job.