View Single Post
Old December 7 2012, 11:10 PM   #16
JD
Admiral

Re: Urban Fantasy: Vampire and Witches and Weres, oh my!

I hit the big reveal in Blood Rites. I knew it was coming, but it was still a great scene.
I also started reading the first Kate Daniels series. This will be my first complete novel in the series, but I did read the short story "A Questionable Client" and I absolutely loved it. The main character, Kate, is a merc with magic in a world that has random waves of magic and technology. When magic is up nothing modern, like cars, guns, electricity, ect. works, and when it's down than magic doesn't and all of that stuff does. It's completely random, so you could be sitting at home with you electric lights on watching TV, and a wave of magic will hit and it will all just die. It's also got one of the more unique takes on vampires I've come across. Instead of the suave, Vampire Diaries/True Blood vamps, these are mindless mutated monsters who are controlled by Necromancers. It's also kind of a post apocalyptic story too, with a lot of Atlanta, where it is set, in ruins due to the magic. There's a very detailed world guide on the authors' (while the series is only credited to Ilona Andrews, she actually works as a duo with her husband) site.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote