View Single Post
Old December 7 2012, 09:22 PM   #113
AJBlue98
Lieutenant

View AJBlue98's Twitter Profile
Re: Think We'll Ever See A Trek Series Longer Than 7 seasons?

Christopher wrote: View Post
^On the other hand, the fact that Star Trek had such a small syndication package of 79 installments, and that the same episodes reran more often, was part of the reason the series became so popular and successful in syndication. So I tend to be a little skeptical toward the conventional wisdom of the 100-episode sweet spot.
I can understand that point of view. Then again, they call it “conventional wisdom” for a good reason. I'm only a media production major in college, so I can speak to the aforementioned conventions and the reasons for them. Sadly, I haven’t had the opportunity to study Star Trek’s particular case, but if you will notice, the show isn’t exactly in continual, permanent reruns. Additionally, The Next Generation, Deep Space 9, and Voyager all share a similar fate; they run from time to time, but not continually, year-after-year.

And not to put too fine a point on it, look at Fringe. The show ran four seasons, to about eighty-or-so episodes, and was renewed for just enough of a final season to make it rerunable. In fact, Science Channel here in the U.S. of A. just picked it up to go into reruns even though its initial run hasn’t yet completed.
AJBlue98 is offline   Reply With Quote