View Single Post
Old December 7 2012, 04:04 PM   #1186
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Ship Polaris

And we're hitting the point in Vektor's work where I stop marveling at the art and start wishing I could wander around in his pictures with a screwdriver to take things apart. "What does this do, hmmm?"

In the support beam over the console are six red things that could be lights or pipes. It doesn't make much sense for them to be pipes, and they don't look like an effective arrangement of lights, either. Do you have any specific thoughts on what they are, or did you just texture in that space with something that looks technological?

The foreground console looks gorgeous now -- even more photorealistic.

I'm also fond of the cobalt shock absorbers (or whatever they are) attached to the ring. That does a nice job of breaking up the uniform grey of the compartment while still looking metallic.

You probably already know this, but you need signage. Lots of yellow and black "WARNING -- Lorem ipsum dolor" stuff on various bulkheads and gizmos.

It occurs to me that if I lived on a spaceship like this, I'd want posters and calendars of ... trees. Forget naked women, cars, motorcycles, and popular stars, I'd just want to let my eyes fall on a beautiful landscape where I can imagine warm sun and twittering birds.

Alright, and maybe naked women.