Thread: First Poster
View Single Post
Old December 6 2012, 01:45 AM   #262
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: First Poster

As far as I can tell, what backlash* there is amounts to a few people on forums at startrek.com, the official forums, Trekweb and few others saying "I don't know - it's not what I would do." As backlash goes, it's pretty benign.

On one of those forums, I just ran across a piece which, while acknowledging similarities to the poster(s) for The Dark Knight Rises, goes on to say that the Star Trek Into Darkness poster reminded them just as much of some artwork from quite a bit earlier:
article wrote:
The poster reminded us of the classic, often-imitated and -reproduced Romantic painting "Wanderer Above the Sea of Fog" ["Der Wanderer über dem Nebelmeer"] by Caspar David Friedrich. Painted in 1818, it is often interpreted as a metaphor for introspection or stepping into an unknown future, both of which seem like appropriate themes for the frequently philosophical Sci-Fi series.
[bracketed bit and link added by me]
See also mention of a similar pose struck by Cumberbatch during a Sherlock episode from early 2012. (I think this one may already have been brought up here in one thread or another.)

And then there's this article, which addresses the topic of poster artwork similarity more generally.

* Precisely how many backlash is too many? (Or should that properly be "how many backlash are... "; grammar weenies, what say you?) How does one quantify backlash, anyway?