View Single Post
Old December 6 2012, 12:55 AM   #1446
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

davejames wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
In all honesty "we're not supposed to see that" as it's not "really there" or if it IS there a design feature of the uniform not the "zipper." As we all know zippers are obsolete in the 24c, they have "nanoseam" closures the clasp the uniform shut int he front. This is very, very nicely demonstrated when Ro takes off her tunic in "Ensign Ro" (further suggesting that there's a "nanoseam" between the top and pant of the female uniform to make it look like one piece. Meaning the two-piece look of the male uniform is a design feature.)
Ah, so basically they're supposed to be like those zippers around the neck we weren't supposed to see on the TOS uniforms.

Shame then that they were so incredibly obvious, even in SD.
Basically, at least in TOS, though, they were "less obvious" and seemed to just be design flare. In TNG they're very obviously "zippers." They could have hid them better by having it in the side of the uniform where the black is or something.

I got my discs yesterday. And correct me if I'm wrong on this, but didn't the Repulse in "The Child" have it's nacelles lit up just like the D's in the original version? In the HD it looks like the compositor's forgot to add in the nacelle glow.
I could check, but I doubt it. I don't think the Excelsior's engine nacelles glow.

HERE is a screen-grab from the scene on DVD courtesy of TrekCore. No nacelle glow on the Excelsior. Which makes sense, they're not supposed to glow so it's unlikely the model has that capability.