View Single Post
Old December 4 2012, 11:10 PM   #127
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Re: Why Not A Starfleet Ships Chaplain As A Main Character?

Longinus wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
Longinus wrote: View Post
Sindatur, you are just wrong. Sorry. Please think of the leprechauns; it should help to get this.
You can make up definitions all day long, but, if someone doesn't put them in the Dictionary for you, it's unlikely they'll be widely accepted.

Atheism depends upon a certainty of a side to be taken (Either a Disbelief in the positive or a belief in the negative). Straight up, that's what the definition says.

Agnosticism is the one that allows you to softly take a side or refuse to take a side.
Lack of belief is disbelief. And atheism do not refuse to take side. It is certainly 'I do not think there is God'. We are talking about certainity of that conviction. People generally do not believe in all sorts of things there is no evidence for (or evidence is questionable.) Not believing in ghosts or leprechauns do not require indisputable evidence for the non-existence of said entities, merely lack of credible evidence for their existence. This is same with God. This relates to the difficulty of proving negative. I mean I cannot prove that there is not an invisible, intangible pink unicorn in my yard just now, but I have no reason to assume that there is.

Maybe Dawkins seven point scale will help to illuminate various positions:

Dawkins posits that "the existence of God is a scientific hypothesis like any other." He goes on to propose a continuous "spectrum of probabilities" between two extremes of opposite certainty, which can be represented by seven "milestones". Dawkins suggests definitive statements to summarize one's place along the spectrum of theistic probability. These "milestones" are:[2]
  1. Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C.G. Jung: "I do not believe, I know."
  2. De facto theist. Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. "I don't know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there."
  3. Leaning towards theism. Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. "I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God."
  4. Completely impartial. Exactly 50 per cent. "God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable."
  5. Leaning towards atheism. Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. "I do not know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be skeptical."
  6. De facto atheist. Very low probability, but short of zero. "I don't know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there."
  7. Strong atheist. "I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung knows there is one."
Dawkins argues that while there appear to be plenty of individuals that would place themselves as "1" due to the strictness of religious doctrine against doubt, most atheists do not consider themselves "7" because atheism arises from a lack of evidence and evidence can always change a thinking person's mind. In print, Dawkins self-identified as a '6', though when interviewed by Bill Maher[3] and later by Anthony Kenny,[4] he suggested '6.9' to be more accurate.
You can apply that to other beliefs besides God. Ask your self how would you rate your belief in existece of ghosts, electrons, Australia or leprechauns on that scale.
No, lack of Belief and Disbelief are not the same thing.

Lack of belief means you do not actively believe it to be true, but, it does not dictate your position on the falseness of it.

Disbelief dictates your active belief that it is false

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote