View Single Post
Old December 4 2012, 05:25 PM   #1291
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile
Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

I find it interesting that a critique of the film is that it too closely follows the structure of, say, Fellowship:

It quickly becomes apparent how hard Jackson is trying to recreate the magic of "Fellowship of the Ring" by using many of the familiar elements and an identical story structure. Over the course of their journey, the group face more orcs and goblins and trolls we saw in the "Lord of the Rings" movies with many of the beats being almost identical.
Link

But that neglects the fact that Tolkien's LOTR trilogy is, mostly, an expanded version of his Hobbit story. In any case, more worrisome to me are the comments about pacing, particularly during the opening sections of the film. I do wonder if the reviewers allowed themselves to simply enjoy the scenes set in Bag End, as opposed to wanting to see the adventure happening sooner. I seem to recall similar critiques about FOTR and how the Hobbiton scenes were its weakest. Personally, I thoroughly enjoyed them and if the Bag End scenes strike a similar tone, then chances are I'll have to disagree with those critiques.