View Single Post
Old December 4 2012, 05:06 PM   #131
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Re: Let's say Marvel and DC were to merge universes.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Satyrquaze wrote: View Post
^The fanboy's point is noted.
Although I'm speaking not as a "fanboy," but as a casual observer who has only a passing familiarity with either character.
Fair enough, I have to admit only a passing familiarity with Gaiman's Death character. No offense meant by the 'fanboy' comment.

the G-man wrote: View Post
My point was less about what does or doesn't take precedent in an imaginary crossover and more about responding to the point you seemed to have made.

You had stated that perky Goth Death was only one aspect of Death. In response, I pointed out that her creator said she wasn't an aspect of Death but was, in fact, Death. Unless and until DC or Gaiman undoes that, that's the current status of the character, as sure as Superman is the survivor of the doomed planet Krypton, or Batman is an orphaned millionaire.

I suppose, yes, if DC and Marvel were to somehow merge they could, hypothetically, overrule Gaiman's interpretation of his own character. However, until that happens, I'm going to stick with the character as she is, as written by her creator, not as someone might like to see her.
Your point that Gaiman's Death was the Death of the DC universe is all well and good, but it came across (to me at least) that you're were saying she would be on a higher eshelon than any other representation of Death should those universes be merged.

Perhaps that entity is the true Death in THAT universe, but if someone were to die before it became fashionable to be goth, I doubt they would meet that same cute girl that we recognize as Gaiman's Death. Hell, I wonder if when someone from Thanagar or Daxam is about to die if they see a cute goth girl. But, it's notable too, that Gaiman's Death showed up at one point in an issue of Hulk back in the 90s.

I stand by my belief that Gaiman's Death is simply an aspsect of death just as Starlin's is. Starlin's representation of Death is much more traditional and shes much more of an elemental force than Gaiman's creation, and would therefore be closer to the source. but as Christopher pointed out: they are both but physical manifestations of a more inchoate entity. Should Marvel and DC merge universes, which Death a character met would depend largely on the day of the week and who was writing.