View Single Post
Old December 4 2012, 02:02 PM   #1670
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

flemm wrote: View Post
I think it's because as a *couple* from the standard perspective, Kira/Odo doesn't work at all and makes no sense, but if you make it about something deeper, like the two characters' changing identity, then it really works and can become almost profound at times.
I agree, there's an opportunity with Kira and Odo to explore something deeper about love in general because of what Odo is. How does a being like Odo, a being so different than the humanoid races, a being with no understanding of gender, sexuality or reproduction, why does he experience love? I'm not saying that love is purely about those things, but they are a major component and quite possibly the origins of those emotions. What does Odo get out of being with Kira? Why her and not somebody else?

I guess what I'm asking is this: What is love? Baby, don't hurt me. Don't hurt me, no more.

But seriously, I think Kira would like an answer to those questions before hooking up with Odo and not after. I think she would have been more impressed by Odo answering those questions in a meaningful way than by learning he can sing and dance.

flemm wrote: View Post
I just... don't like that whole vibe all that much. I don't really like Vic, or think he's cool. But it's basically assumed that it's all 100% awesome and I should like it.
I agree completely. Everyone acts like Vic is the coolest cat in town, but the problem is that nobody says things like "cool cat" any more unless they're being ironic. Admittedly, nobody is going to mistake me with the arbiter of coolness, I do watch Star Trek after all. But Vic is just a guy that's literally stuck in the past and, from my perspective, most of the things he says are cringe-worthy, not cool. But that's largely a generational thing that can't be helped.