View Single Post
Old December 4 2012, 08:12 AM   #1285
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor
Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I remember a little while ago, I saw the trailer and saw rock giants in the Misty Mountains and thought "well now they're just padding. No way that happened in the book." Then I re-read it and found out that, yeah, it's in the book.
I thought the exact same thing and was equally surprised when I reread the book. In fact, there was a lot of things I forgot about like how many animals that speak in the novel (not just the eagles and spiders, but also all of Beorn animal servants).

Samuel Walters wrote: View Post
It's simply not possible to tell this story in one or likely two parts without cutting things out. Now you may think they should cut things out, but he's not really adding things.
I'm sure there will be padding ... but even so, there's a *lot* that happens in The Hobbit that is quickly glossed over (like the rock giants). It's not a long passage in the book, but to do it any dramatic justice in a film, it would have to take a few minutes of time.
Precisely. During my reread, I specifically looked out for instances of exposition or dialogue being glossed over and there's a lot of that and not just the Battle of the Five Armies or traveling through Mirkwood. A lot of conversation between important characters such as Beorn, The Master of Lakewood, Bard, Thranduil, even Elrond, are glossed over that can easily be expanded upon. Additionally, Thorin, Balin, and Bombur have the vast majority of the dialogue amongst the dwarves, some of whom don't speak at all (or doing anything other than being part of the Company).

Stephen Colbert is hosting a Hobbit week on his show (Sir Ian, Martin Freeman, and Peter Jackson).
Awesome. I'll be sure to watch each of those episodes online.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote