View Single Post
Old December 4 2012, 03:39 AM   #86
DanCPA
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to DanCPA Send a message via Yahoo to DanCPA
Re: Do the Homeless Get Free Medical Treatment at American Hospitals?

I've never seen anyone turned away. I've seen some people with huge bills that cause them credit problems later... but never denied
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
CoveTom wrote: View Post
I realize what the value of anecdotal evidence is (read: virtually none), on both sides of the issue. However, we are all colored by our own experiences.

All I can tell you is this: I live in the United States. I have not had health insurance for many years. And health care, including routine preventative, what we call "urgent care," and emergency, has never been denied to me because of my ability to pay. Doctors, urgent care centers, hospitals... all have been willing to work with me as someone who did not have health insurance and could not simply fork over thousands of dollars out of pocket. In some cases, it was by setting up payment plans that I could manage. In other cases, it was by reducing the bill by a substantial amount. On a daily basis, I have to take an extremely expensive medication that the maker, AstraZeneca, provides to me at absolutely no cost because I can't afford it on my own.

In short, I have found the notion of being denied health care in the United States because you can't afford it to be as much of a myth as many of you claim to have found things about 'socialized' systems to be myths.
All I can say is, you've been very fortunate in your experiences.
teya wrote: View Post

There are, for example, only so many hearts available for transplant.
Never... Obama will create new hearts

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
Fortunately, we over in the civilized world, have developed this wonderful new concept known as a "line".
And the DMV and post office have developed them also. And there are times when you have to wait an hour or more for the DMV in California. If someone needs a surgery and the wait is 4 years? What happens then?