View Single Post
Old December 4 2012, 01:19 AM   #197
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader

Re: "King's Speech" director to take on "Les Miserables"

Sci wrote: View Post
DigificWriter wrote: View Post
CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
What earlier adaptations of the musical? This is the first film.
^ Okay, 'adaptation' was the wrong word to use; I should've used 'iteration'.
Even the largest of stage musicals are by definition aimed at a smaller, more affluent, and better-educated audience than most films. This adaptation seems to be aiming for a wide, mainstream audience, so I wouldn't be surprised if other aspects were altered for clarity.
The lyrics to some of the less known songs have been changed or eliminated over the years. When I first saw the musical in London, it had Little People as a full song, then a later touring version back home in Texas, had the song eliminated about 5 years later leaving only the bit of Little People sung when Gavroche exposes Javert. Also The Finale has some minor line changes between Cosette and Vajean compared from the stage version and the 10th Anniversary concert. I've also noticed changes in One Day More, again minor changes but noticeable if you have been listening to the Original London Cast Recording.

Last edited by Vanyel; December 4 2012 at 07:03 AM.
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote