View Single Post
Old December 3 2012, 01:45 PM   #1664
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

apenpaap wrote: View Post
TheGodBen wrote: View Post
In the Pale Moonlight (0)
Good to see you're still doing this joke. I've only been fooled by it once (in your B5 thread;, which I'm going through right now as I watch the show for the first time, you got me with your rating for "The Coming of Shadows"), but I still like it. Anyway, yeah, In The Pale Moonlight is brilliant.
I had completely forgotten about The Coming of Shadows review and had to reread it to figure out what you were talking about. I probably shouldn't laugh at my own jokes as much as I did rereading that.

I think my favourite fake review was the time I gave Voyager's Survival Instinct six stars purely because it was written by Ron Moore.

flemm wrote: View Post
Inquisition is... good, though I wish they hadn't fallen back on the tired *virtual reality that dissipates* scenario here.
That's something I considered, but it didn't bother me too much because the inquisition into Bashir by "Starfleet" was still real and led up to a killer revelation. If it had been revealed to have been a ploy by the Dominion instead then it wouldn't have held up nearly as well.

His Way (*)

Ira Behr wrote:
The quality of the show is not apparent to everyone, and that's really, really sad. Because that show is as perfect an episode as we ever did. You would be hard-pressed to find moments that don't work. It does exactly what it's supposed to. As loony as the show might seem, it's a real triumph. I'm not saying it's the only triumph by any means, but it's the one that's most masked, I guess, the one that's toughest for the audience to recognize.
Okay, I have a lot of respect for Ira Behr, but reading that quote on MA left me with the feeling that he doesn't quite get the complaints against this episode. Structurally, the episode is fine, it's a good romantic-comedy that's well-made and you're not going to see me complain about that stuff. There's two main problems. Firstly, the Odo/Kira relationship doesn't lend itself well to the romantic-comedy genre, and having the two characters hook up in such a story is an unsatisfying climax to that arc. It worked well for Worf and Jadzia because that's the sort of characters they are. Kira and Odo are different, overwrought melodrama suits them better for whatever reason.

The second problem is that the episode is overindulgent. 60s lounge singers aren't my thing, they're well before my time. I have nothing against that sort of music, it's just that it's niche genre to my generation. Frankly, just like I don't want to sit through an episode of Star Trek focusing on speed metal, I don't want to sit through an episode of Star Trek focusing on 60s lounge singers. One musical number? I'm okay with that. Two musical numbers? I start checking my watch. This episode has four musical numbers, and that's entirely too much for me. If you're a fan of 60s lounge singers, this episode was meant for you, and I sincerely hope you enjoy it. But this episode wasn't written to suit my tastes.

VIC: Sit down. Relax. Take a couple of deep breaths. You do that and everything you want will come to you.
ODO: That's all it takes?
VIC: Try it. Go on.
So a being that doesn't need to breath advises another being that doesn't need to breath that the key to relaxing is simulating an unnatural process for both of them. Okay.

VIC: Do you know how difficult it was for me to get a holographic image of Major Kira? Lucky for you, Julian used her image in one of his spy programmes, though it did take me an hour to get rid of the Russian accent.
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to use someone's image without consent for use in a dating sim. And if it's not, it should be.

KIRA: I'm trying to meditate.
VIC: And I don't mean to interrupt.
KIRA: Good. Then leave.
Why is Kira meditating in a holosuite? We've seen her meditate in her quarters and in the temple, but never before in the holosuite. Does she not realise that a half-hour ago there was a Benzite in that same room getting a blow-job from a holographic Vulcan princess? I can hardly imagine a less appropriate place to meditate.

VIC: I need to talk to you. I want you to come to the holosuite tonight.
ODO: Why?
VIC: I've done a complete overhaul on the Lola hologram or should I say the Kira hologram? I'm telling you, Odo, you're going to think she's the real thing. She walks like Kira, she talks like Kira.
Odo, you're a policeman with a hard-on for justice, surely you know how wrong it is to secretly date a hologram of your best friend.

Form of... a penguin suit: 32

"No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away." - The immortal Terry Pratchett
TheGodBen is offline   Reply With Quote