View Single Post
Old December 3 2012, 02:15 AM   #28
montag01
Ensign

Re: How would famous sci-fi military leaders tackle the Death Star?

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
The problem with your question is that saddling the other commander with Ackbar's forces also saddles him or her with Ackbar's limitations. The attack on the Death Star was executed in the best way available: Commandos to take out the shield generator, a task force to engage the local Imperial fleet, fighters to get into the unfinished structure and attack a vulnerable part of the station. The plan was designed to exploit the enemy's weaknesses and the Rebellion's strengths, and even at that, the probability of success is less than optimal. A different plan, no matter who was commanding, would have even lower odds and might be even more costly, successful or not. . . .

If you let the other commander use his or her own resouces, that's a different story.
Fair enough. I was trying to frame the discussion from being, "Well, then Picard swoops in with the Enterprise and just fires quantum torpedoes" sort of thing. (I didn't want it to become a SW vs Other Franchise technology battle, in other words). But I can see that in my scenario, perhaps no character from another series would be able to do anything differently due to the hand they've been given--which I suppose ends the discussion pretty fast!
montag01 is offline   Reply With Quote