View Single Post
Old December 3 2012, 12:56 AM   #74
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Re: UT: Refugee Crisis/Dark Territory-"Stealing Fire"

The Burning Claw

The hand left a stinging mark on Gedrik’s cheek. He awoke with a start, automatically touching the burning cheek. He blinked to clear the cloudiness from his eyes. He tried to speak but his throat felt raw.

“You’re awake, good,” Nadeen stood over him, flexing the fingers of one of her leather gloves; a nasty-looking Romulan disruptor aimed dead at him. Beyond her, he noticed the dull gray walls of the holding cell. His disloyal crew had mutinied on him already.

“What is the meaning of this?” His anger and fear pushed question through the fire in his throat. He tried to stand up, but the hulking Capellan shoved the muzzle of the disruptor into his nose.

He yelped, but kept his place. The indignity of the action hurt as much as the physical discomfort.

“Did you really think I was going to let you run this ship?” She laughed, shaking her head.

“I have the loyalty of the men,” Gedrik protested, “I have Mavaar, and nothing gets done on this ship without those two things.”

“The men don’t respect a brain with no guts for battle,” Nadeen retorted, advancing on him. “A fool who vaporized his only protector.” To his shame, Gedrik scooted back, his claws clicking on the cold metal floor. “And as for Mavaar…”

Beyond the Capellan, Mavaar slithered into the holding cell. She pressed herself against Nadeen, who stood rooted like tree in the middle of the cell. The Nuvian smiled, “Sorry lover but I decided to place my things in Nadeen’s room.”

“Brigands, reprobates, scum! The lot of you!” Gedrik hissed, “I gave you, I gave all of you a chance to be heroes, and you can’t even conceive of how much money you would make off of that!”

“Oh yes, yes I can,” Nadeen replied, “We’re going to sell this device to the highest bidder.”

“No, I won’t allow it,” he declared, “You need me, you need me to operate the device,” he added, playing the only card at his disposal.

“I had a feeling you would draw that line in the sand,” Nadeen replied, a knowing smile on her face. She cocked her head in Mavaar’s direction. “Mavaar,” she said softly.

“Way ahead of you Captain,” the Nuvian pulled out a small controller. Gedrik’s eyes widened. He knew exactly what that device was, what it could do.

He shook his head, waving his hands in obeisance, “Okay, okay, I’ll do it!”

“I had the good doc do a little surgery on you while you were out,” Nadeen grinned, “Mavaar.”

“No,” he pleaded again, as the Nuvian stepped from behind the ship’s new master, thumb over the controller button. “No,” he began, the word stretching out into infinity as the agony took him.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote