View Single Post
Old December 2 2012, 02:43 AM   #90
Longinus
Commander

Re: Why Not A Starfleet Ships Chaplain As A Main Character?

Merry Christmas wrote: View Post
In the last scene of Bread And Circuses, where Uhura and McCoy are speaking on he bridge , there is joy in Uhura voice, and a matter of fact'ness in McCoy. There no sign that McCoy is employing sarcasm or is reciting a line out of a history book. That they are both persons of faith come from the tone of their voices, and the look on Uhura's face.

Uhura: "Don't you understand? It's not the sun up in the sky. It's the Son of God."
Kirk: "Caesar and Christ. They had them both. And the word is spreading only now."
McCoy: "A philosophy of total love and total brotherhood."
Yes, I watched that scene. They obviously think that Christ's teachings will improve that planet. No religious element required.

One of those trappings being a "Vulcan Temple." Commander Tuvok referred to a Vulcan temple as being "sacred." Vulcan family's travel to the temples so that prayer can be said.
I would not pay too much attention to words like 'temple' or 'priest', but I already sy it is odd for Vulcans to pray.

In the (non-canon) novelization of Star Trek: The Motion Picture, Vulcans, in addition to the senses possessed by Humans, have a sense that give them the ability to perceive a oneness with The All, the universe's creative force, or God. The novelization was written by Gene Roddenberry.
I haven't read it. If that's true it is indeed odd, and goes against what he has said about world of Star Trek and his ideas about religion. Could anyone provide the exact quote?

Why would it be illogical for Vulcans (or anyone) to pray? Vulcan know that the self survives the mortal flesh, and they (like many of us) can personal perceive God.
What would be the purpose of the prayer? It does nothing.

And Katra is physical thing, it cannot survive without a physical container such as brain or katra arch. Vulcans preserve their Katras because they know there is no existence beyond this physical world.

Oh, and apparently network bosses pressuret Roddenberry to include a chaplain in TOS. He adamantly refused.
Longinus is offline   Reply With Quote