View Single Post
Old December 1 2012, 09:03 PM   #238
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Re: Another "Wonder Woman" show now in early development

Christopher wrote: View Post
Lapis Exilis wrote: View Post
I was speaking of comics history not adaptations. As for evidence - WW going from superpowered Amazon to non-powered kung fu fighter and back again, the many-more-than-nine-lives versions of Selina Kyle, and, Donna Troy anyone? Just to name a few.
Okay, but your premise was that it happened more with female characters than male. It doesn't count as evidence if you only give female examples -- you need to prove they outnumber the male examples by a statistically significant margin.
Actually, dear, I don't need to prove anything - this isn't an academic paper, it's an internet discussion board about minor pop culture topics that I visit for five minutes here and there for laughs. If you don't agree with me, I'm good with that.

But I will say, that it's certainly true that in the last 15-20 years, more and more characters have seen major and minor revisions as comic books have struggled and become more dependent on stunt storytelling that uses revisions and reimaginings as marketing campaigns. But as venerable anaylses of comics history like Women in Refrigerators and the "Are female characters really treated any differently from male characters?" response Dead Men Defrosting have indicated, there appears, across comics history, to be more of a tendency to alter female superheroes without returning them to their former heroic status quo than there is to do the same for male characters. However, given the sprawling history of supeheroes, it is difficult to make any comprehensive study without taking an inordinate amount of time to prove "statistically significant" arguments, which, I hate to break it to you, your few examples do not approach either, even while they do allow you to display your impressive knowledge of superheroes in their various versions.