View Single Post
Old December 1 2012, 08:11 PM   #23
Albertese
Commodore

Re: Kirk's Television Enterprise Deck Plans WIP

A few thoughts...

First of all, I realize you're trying to make use of the sets as seen literally on the show, but it seems to me that there are too many turbolifts. Why should they crew need so many lift stops? It just seems to be taking up more deck space than would be efficient.

Next, I'm not sure you need so many transporters either. Having one fore and aft on deck 10 and 14 seems like overkill. Also, your Deck 10 Aft transporter has a turbolift run directly below it, where I would have expected to find transporter machinery.

I do like the sickbay ward near the transporter, it makes sense to have a "satellite office" in the secondary hull. But the Deck 14 transporters/sickbay wards make more sense to me than do the Deck 10 facilities.

The Shuttlecraft on Deck 13 seem awfully close packed. I would expect that, even when stowed, there would be a meter or two of walkway surrounding each craft, for inspections and maintenance purposes; even though most heavy duty maintenance and repairs would be done on some sort of shop/garage set-up, I suppose there must be some things that can be done in the parking stall. Whatever the shuttlecraft equivalent of an oil change or that sort of thing.

Also, the Deck 13 shuttle storage makes me wonder about how well the radial/circular corridor set-up utilizes the deck space. I think you're going to end up with lots of odd little nooks and crannies that will be weird to fill.

Also, to address your "promenade" idea where nearby transporters are equivalent to lifeboats... The reason why lifeboats are near promenade/wraparound decks, is because it's a broad open deck space where the passengers and crew can assemble and load up the boats which have to be there in order to be lowered to the water's surface. As there would be no requirement to have transporters near the outer hull, I see no need to have them near to a promenade area. Especially since they only offload people from the ship six at a time, I suppose any corridor would be as good a place to assemble the crew as a promenade deck.

I have mixed emotions regarding how many meandering corridors there are. On one hand, it does seem to be an inefficient arrangement and poor utilization of the deck space. However, there are references in the show to the lower decks being maze-like, so that might work out. I especially refer to Deck 10... there's all kind of goofy corridors there but it looks believable in an odd way.

Also, what anti-gravity units are you referring to? Do you mean those trusses running across the corridor ceiling? If so, what evidence is there that these have anything at all to do with gravity? If it's just your own take on it, that's cool, I was just wondering if there was anything more than that...

Having said all that, I'm super excited to see this project develop. I'm certainly going to steal a few of your ideas for my own project. I like how you have Deck 14 with the transporters and smaller medical ward. And I've been thinking of using a circular corridor in my own take on the secondary hull, so it's fascinating to see how it plays out in your project.

Keep up the great work!

--Alex