View Single Post
Old December 1 2012, 08:58 AM   #17
t_smitts
Commander

Re: Aliens with one name vs. aliens with two names

Christopher wrote: View Post
The Pocket novels of recent years have established fuller naming conventions for Andorians, and Tellarites (in fact, I happen to be the one who came up with the Tellarite naming pattern now used in the books, or at least the prototype for it). The '80s novels established fuller names for Klingons (in John M. Ford's The Final Reflection and Romulans (in Diane Duane's Rihannsu novels), but those naming patterns aren't generally used in tie-ins anymore. But you still do see Romulans in the novels with two names. The current Praetor in the novel continuity is Gell Kamemor, and the books have given the Romulan Commander from "The Enterprise Incident" the name Liviana Charvanek.

Canon has established that a Klingon's full name includes a patronymic/house designator, such as "Worf, Son of Mogh." (Although since he was adopted, his full legal name should be Worf Rozhenko.) I sometimes wonder if "Sarek, child of Skon, child of Solkar" is a translation of the full Vulcan family name.
Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Shawnster wrote: View Post
Yet Worf referred to his son as "Alexander Rozhenko" in New Ground
Alexander was named by his mother, and I'm guessing she was following human naming conventions since she didn't particularly care about Klingon tradition.

About Romulan names: The character of Valdore (who appeared in ENT) is, in the novels, given the full name of Valdore i'Kaleh tr'Ihaimehn. Perhaps Romulans follow naming conventions similar to those used in certain Spanish speaking countries, in which a person uses both their mother and father's last names? (for example, the ex-Yankee Bernie Williams, his full name is Bernabé Williams Figueroa)

As for the Jem'Hadar: I heard that Jem'Hadar names are assigned by their First who is the commander of their unit. Is this true? I swear I read that in some novel.
I guess that'll depend on what books, if any, that one considers canon.

-Brett- wrote: View Post
t_smitts wrote: View Post
1 name:
-Romulans
Not entirely true. Off the top of my head, there's Alidar Jarok (not to be confused with the poster here). Senator Cretak was referred to as "Kimura" or something to that effect, it's been forever since I've seen that episode. From context, it sounded like a given name.

I think Romulans have naming conventions similar to humans, we just rarely get on a first name basis with any of them.
Did you read my initial post?

I think we should also remember that Earth has many different cultures and naming customs. For some of the above species, if they hail from a certain region of their world, they might be two-named, while most of the rest are one-named.

In general, however, I still personally lean towards the requirement that not just one or two, but several individuals (if not most) mentioned from a species must have two names to consider that a two-named species.
t_smitts is offline   Reply With Quote