View Single Post
Old December 1 2012, 05:51 AM   #1234
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

326. Return to Me (✩✩✩) - DVD - A man's wife dies and he meets a woman, who unbeknownst to him, received his dead wife's heart during a transplant. Stars David Duchovny, Minnie Driver and Carroll O'Connor in his final role. It's a "kismet" love story and it's about as good/mundane as your usual light-hearted romantic comedy.

327. Solaris (✩✩✩½) - Live TV - Finally saw this, the 1972 Russian version with english subtitles. I've heard people complain that the 2002 movie focussed too much on the love story, but this one did the same. I was also surprised at how similar this was to the 2002 remake. A lot of the scenes were very much alike. The movie was slow, plodding and a real chore to watch most of the time, but it told a fascinating story and had excellent production values.

328. The Beaver (✩✩✩½) - DVD - A husband/father suffering from depression goes over the edge and starts talking to a beaver puppet that he wears at all times, much to the dismay of his family and colleagues. Stars Mel Gibson, Jodie Foster, Anton Yelchin and Jennifer Lawrence. Jodie Foster also directs. First off, this is not a comedy, it's a serious drama about a seriously troubled man, but the presence of the beaver does give it a somewhat quirky and offbeat feel. I'd say that it's a shame that Mel Gibson's antics brought this one down, but the probability that it looks like a comedy when it isn't might have done that just as well. Check it out. It's worth it just for the originality. By the way, this is one of two movies where Yelchin and Lawrence play a couple. The other is Like Crazy.

Theatre: 22
DVD/Blu-ray: 126
Live TV: 126
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 45
Internet: 4
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote