View Single Post
Old December 1 2012, 01:34 AM   #27
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: Those with LEGIT Voyager DVDs, please help

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
Tosk wrote: View Post
tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
But, with Blu-Rays, anything that is in 4:3 (Star Trek TNG, It's A Wonderful Life, Miracle On 34th Street) the image will be right in the center of the screen and surrounded on all 4 sides by black boxes because of the image being in a 16:9 matte.
No, you just make sure your settings are correct and it will display properly.
I've used a Blu-Ray player on a standard TV before. If its been encoded on the DVD or the Blu-Ray in 4:3 480i, then the 4:3 image will fill the entire screen. But if the image is on a Blu-Ray at 720p or higher it'll be shown as a little square in the center of the screen with black on all 4 sides, because there is no native HD 4:3 encoding. any movies or TV shows that were shot in 4:3 and are being put on Blu-Ray will be in a 16:9 anamorphic matte, but won't have information on the edges, so when they are played on a Standard def TV it will look just like the person's watching a widescreen movie, but there will be black all around.
Just a side note, 480i is SD for NTSC, in PAL regions it would be 576i
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote