View Single Post
Old November 30 2012, 10:15 PM   #74
sonak
Vice Admiral

Re: Now That John Logan Has Proven Himself, What Went Wrong With Nemes

Sci wrote: View Post
AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Most of your inquires and grievances can be cleared up by a viewing of the film. Pay attention especially to the conversation Picard and Shinzon have about their true nature and shared attributes.
I welcome a specific quote that addresses my arguments.

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post

Why would anybody compare that? Shinzon is closer to a dictator than an elected official. Now you're just reaching since simply saying "I have a blind hatred and that's that" is tougher to admit.
No. I am making a comparison between one society being led by a member of an oppressed community, and another.

It's really quite simple from a storytelling perspective (and also fictional, the politics of Star Trek have never been close to realistic, maybe that's what makes it difficult for some people? That whole FICTION thing? I dunno).
Randomly insulting your debate opponents by claiming they don't understand the concept of fiction or suspension of disbelief does not actually advance your argument.
but the comparison is invalid. Obama is an elected president who has term limits, so... yeah, it's a given that he'll have to rotate from power. But like the other guy said, Shinzon is a dictator who relies on military power and the allegiance of the Remans. Again, Shinzon won his battle with the Romulan government in the first scene of the movie.(combined with some back-door deals beforehand of course) WHY would Shinzon have "made a move" against the Romulans when he already had what he wanted from them?

It sounds like your criticism is "but I wanted a totally different movie." And that's certainly a valid sentiment, but it's not really a criticism of the movie.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote