View Single Post
Old November 30 2012, 09:07 PM   #158
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Re: TP: Brinkmanship by Una McCormack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Just finished the book, and man, I really enjoyed it. I've never before had the chance to read a book by the author, but, for a first experience, I really don't think I could've picked a better story.

DS9 is my absolute-favorite Star Trek series and, while this was largely focused on characters from TNG and the USS Aventine, everything that I love about DS9 still managed to shine through, making this a very enjoyable read indeed.

Although I would've liked to have seen more of the existing TNG and Aventine characters, I liked the new characters introduced, and am hoping that we'll see more of them in the future. I'd especially like to see more of Corazme and Peter Alden.

It took me a while to figure out what the significance of the 'status memos' was, and I didn't quite get the Venette Convention counterparts to said status memos, but that confusion didn't get in the way of my enjoyment of the story.

My favorite aspects of the book were actually the parts set on Ab-Tzkenth (sp?), and the way that things happening in that particular storyline actually tied back in to what was happening in the other storylines.

Re: Paper Moon's comment about Picard behaving stereotypically and judgmentally, I didn't get that feeling at all; I took his comments about the Cardassians and the Ferengi as being slightly tongue-in-cheek.

Overall, this book was an extremely excellent read and has inspired me to definitely go check out Una's other Star Trek works.