View Single Post
Old November 30 2012, 04:35 PM   #59
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Star Trek Federation: The First 150 Years

Sci wrote: View Post
KingDaniel wrote: View Post
What about the USS Kelvin? It should be part of both histories and I'm really curious if/how they reconciled the enourmous ships of the last movie with the far more modest ones of The Original Series. Or does the book avoid any of the 2009 movie's pre-incursion concepts?
What's there to reconcile? Some older ships were just biggest than the Constitution class, that's all. Those old Vulcan D'Kyr-class ships were damn near as big as Constitutions already in the 2150s.

For what it's worth, I tend to just assume that the Kelvin was designed to start and support Federation colonization efforts -- hence the need for a larger size.
Truthfully, I don't think there needs to be any jusification beyond "they built them bigger in those days," although if this book includes a detailed history of starship evolution, it would be interesting if they postulated some kind of reason why starships in the prime-universe became smaller which presumably didn't occur in the alternate reality.

To be honest, my main concern was that they'd do what fansites like EAS have done, and pretend the Kelvin and her variant designs (Newton, Mayflower, Armstrong etc) were a lot smaller than we saw on-screen in order to make it fit size-comparison charts more snugly.