View Single Post
Old November 30 2012, 03:47 AM   #40
EmperorTiberius
Captain

Re: How militarized should Starfleet be?

jayrath wrote: View Post
Nope. Just nope. Read the "Hornblower" novels. Starfleet is part American Coast Guard, but mostly 18th century English navy, when captains were explorers, diplomats and even (kind of) representatives of commercial interests.

"Star Trek" is not war. When that does happen on-screen in the spin-offs, I very rapidly lose interest. If you want space battles, there are plenty of other shows. They are great; I hope you enjoy them. Instead, what made (and makes) Trek great is hope for the future. How can that possibly include a Starfleet constantly poised for battle? I resist and resent militaristic revisionism. Starfleet is the future NASA.

Salutes?
I'm not a fan of war either, but they are part a defense organization as stated in the tech manuals and seen on screen. Even the original had Enterprise facing off against Romulans, Klingons, you can't deny that.

I read Hornblower "Beat to Quarters" novel and I remember a big battle towads the end of the novel against a Spanish ship of the line. I'm sure the Brits kept a fleet of ships of the line somewhere in the Channel to prevent invasion or conduct their own. That's why I said, I woudn't mind having a few battleships just patrolling in the core systems or even parked inside starbases, so that the business of exploring can continue.
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote