Thread: Mass Effect 3
View Single Post
Old November 30 2012, 02:32 AM   #1806
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

The Engineer wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
Agreed. I can live with gameplay flaws as long as the story is good (the first ME game is by far my favorite in the series, for example).
Mine is 2, even though the end boss was utterly stupid.
Yeah because the end boss for ME1 was so amazing! *keeping a straight face...*

At least by ME3 they got the message that their combat system just isn't well suited for boss battles...unfortunately the final combat section (not counting Marauder Shields) was a pretty uninspired "kill all the things" cluster f*ck.

On the positive side, the battle of wills with TIM was a wise move. I'm glad they abandoned the idea of turning him into a hulking monster.

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Agreed. I can live with gameplay flaws as long as the story is good (the first ME game is by far my favorite in the series, for example).
Agreed...to a point. I mean the fact is that gamplay is what you're going to spend most of the game doing (running, ducking, shooting all the things) so even the best story in the world isn't going to help if the gameplay is rubbish.

In the case of DAO I really did struggle at times. I suppose part of that had to do with my not being terribly familiar with previous Bioware titles, or even "traditional" western RPGs in general. I had a much easier time with ME1 because it was largely skill based and reminded me a lot of the original Deus Ex. If I missed an enemy, it was because *I* missed it, not because some dice roll told me I did.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote